Who are the people of White Haven United Methodist Church?
We are a friendly, welcoming community of faithful and committed disciples of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We consider every day an opportunity to be diligent, spreading the Good News of Jesus through mission activities, study, and fellowship, but come Sunday morning, we gather faithfully and joyfully to worship.
While many of the members of our congregation were born and raised in White Haven or the surrounding small towns, some were drawn from neighboring areas into our culturally rich community boasting of opportunities to celebrate God's amazing creation in the beauty of the Pocono Mountain region surrounding us.
We are honored you are here with us on the web as we share about our church family and the ministries with which we are connected.
The story of White Haven United Methodist Church began in 1835 when a handful of residents met for worship at the "Old Log School House," the post office, on Basin Street. Over the next decade, the fellowship outgrew the space available to worship. On October 26, 1849, White Haven UMC purchased property on Wilkes-Barre Street from Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company for the sum of $100. A new church building was built, and the congregation continued to grow in numbers.
On the cold, wintry night of February 2, 1971, a fire destroyed the physical structure of our church, but not the spiritual commitment of our congregation. Left only with the charred bell from the steeple, the congregation graciously accepted the offer to worship in St. Paul’s Lutheran Church and later, in the Sipler Garage while plans were underway to build again.
On February 17, 1974, ground was broken for a new church structure on West Buffalo Street. All members who were able pulled the ropes tied to an old plow, symbolic of the strong faith and unity that became part of their story to pass on to the generations that would follow. This property was generously given to White Haven United Methodist Church by Dr. Stanley Yamulla of Hazleton, PA.
On the morning of Sunday, September 7, 1975, the doors to the new building were open for the first worship service. Today we continue to worship in the same building under the Pastoral leadership of Pastor Sarah Fernsler. With thanksgiving for God's provision, our story continues, and we welcome you to be part of it.